Bocote (Cordia Alliodora) is an extrordinaty wood native to Central America, mainly Mexico. Bocote wood is immediately recognizeable by the entrancing waves of dark streaks that swirl across a warm golden-brown surface.
This look, unique to Bocote, has made this wood a favorite of luthiers, woodworkers and craftsmen who want to take advantage of nature's artistry.
Bocote wood offers many benefits aside from its fascinating aesthetic:
- One of North American's strongest hardwoods
- Almost twice as hard as Black Walnut with a Janka hardness of 2200
- Good steam bending classification
- Works well with both hand and power tools
- Can be finished smoothly and cleanly in most machining operations
- Stains and polishes to a good finish
- Dries easily without degradation with medium movement